The Q&A Archives: Cleaning Yucca Plant Leaves

Question: I have two Yucca (?) plants in my bedroom. It appears that dust has collected on the leaves which makes them look dull. How can I clean them to bring back the luster?

As noted I am not sure the name is correct. Where can I find an image of the plant?

Answer: You have several options for cleaning foliage houseplants. One is to put them in the shower or sink under a tepid spray of plain water. Another is to vaccuum them (use a gentle brush attachment) to take off the loose dust and then gently wipe them off with a soft cloth dampened in tepid water. Once they are clean again, a regular dusting and occasional washing should keep it from building up too much. A quick trip to the library for a book or two about houseplants should yield some photos of assorted foliage plants or a quick web search for yucca should do the trick.