The Q&A Archives: Kaffir Lime Tree Culture

Question: I am planning to acquire a Kaffir Lime tree to plant on a backyard hill. Are the planting and culture requirements the same as other Citrus trees? I live in a very favorable citrus growing area and already have lemons, limes, and tangelo trees. I understand that the leaves of this tree are what is used in cooking instead of the actual fruit. Would appreciate any help you can give me on this as I can't find any publications on this subject. Many thanks.

Answer: Citrus histrix, or Kaffir Lime, is a different species than ordinary lime and is grown for the leaves for which there is a demand particularly in Thai cuisine. Although plant culture is the same as for citrus, the leaves are not prolifically produced, and the tree is thorny, making picking a slow process. Complete information on the plant can be found on the following website: