The Q&A Archives: Planting Pole Beans in AZ

Question: I would like to plant some of your pole lima beans (B-51243 OR H-57950). I am in the Phoenix area and have been told that the best time to plant beans is in July. What do you advise? I have a limited space to plant them getting 1/2 day sun. I hope that they can be trained on a trellis adjacent to the house wall. Which do you suggest; B-51243 OR H57950? Would you recommend using the Burpee Booster for Beans? Thank you. Bill Anderson Litchfield Park, AZ

Answer: July sounds late to plant beans, but perhaps your situation in Arizona dictates you wait that long. I would have thought you'd plant in April for a July harvest. Perhaps the July planting is for the fall crop? The 'Burpee's Best' is a nice bean foryour area. If your soil is on the poor side, definitely use the Burpee Booster for Beans. If your soil is very fertilie to start with, you won't need it.