The Q&A Archives: Techniques for Gettings Starts from Grape Vines, Raspberries

Question: My neighbor is planning to move quite a few grape vines. I would like to get some starts off of it. Exactly how is that done? Are raspberries and blackberries done the same way? Laurie Ann Davis Spring Lake, UT

Answer: Although cheaper than buying new plants, moving established plants can involve much more labor and not be as sucessful. Transplanting established grape vines can be tricky. Extreme care is necessary in digging up and retaining as many roots as possible. Dig holes with good drainage planting the roots 7-10' apart with enough space to accommodate most of the roots. Trim the vine back to 2 or 3 buds. Set up a trellis system able to support the weight of the vines and their mature grapes. Even though you are planting established vines it may take them a couple of years to re-establish and produce grapes. You can take some cuttings off your neighbors grapes once the new growth starts by taking a 4-6" long cutting, dipping it in rooting hormone andplacing the cutting in a soilless potting mix. Cover the pot with a clear plastic bag with a few holes punched in it for air circulation. It may take awhile, but eventually they should root. Raspberries and blackberries are planted from bare roots andare less finicky than grapes. Plant them in full sun 3' apart. The tops should be planted slightly deeper than their original depth. Fertilize with 10-10-10. Wild varities will not be as productive as domestic varities and may introduce diseases andpests.