The Q&A Archives: Ideal Soil

Question: What type of dirt mix I should grow pumpkins, beans, and cucumbers in? Our watermelons vines, which are about 3 weeks old, are spliting from the ground to the first few leaves and I don't know what I should do or to do before I pland to prevent this problem Alex Tampa, FL

Answer: Generally any soil fortified with organic material, compost, well rotted manure, or decaying leaves, forms the basis for good growing soil. Vegetables like a loamy soil that's easy to work, yet fertile. Pumpkins, squash, and cucumbers all need to be planted in warm soil after all danger of frost is past. Splitting of vines usually occurs when plants take up too much water too quickly. Try mulching the plantings with a layer of 4-6" thick hay or straw after they start growing. This might help keep the soil moisture constant.