The Q&A Archives: Planting Chinese Chestnut Trees

Question: I would like to know where I can purchase chinese chestnut trees for planting. I understand that two are required for cross-pollination. Where do you plant them? How far apart from each other? How far away from buildings, etc.? What is the best time to plant them.

Answer: Castanea mollissima is the Chinese Chestnut. Chinese chestnut reaches a height of 30-40 feet with equal spread, in a sunny exposure and well drained soil. The
tree is not tolerant of pruning and is hard to transplant.
The chief ornamental feature is yellowish white catkins
present in early summer. The odor given off by the flowers
may be considered offensive to some people. The nuts are
edible but not as sweet as the American chestnut. Two
cultivars are needed for cross pollination and nut
production. In cold climates the growing season may not be
long enough for the nuts to mature. The following four cultivars have been selected for their nut production; 'abundance', 'meiling',' nanking', and

If you can't find a local source, you can order from Adams Nursery, 1033 Jarrell Hogg Road, West Point, Georgia, 31833-4703, (706) 882-0447.