The Q&A Archives: Growing Tips for Surecrop' Strawberries

Question: I planted Burpee Surecrop' strawberries in a 2 gallon strawberry jar (6 around the side of the jar and 3 on top). Will I get any fruit this year? Any advice on using jars for plants? Thanks a lot. Joe Hicksville, NY

Answer: Yes, you should get some berries this year, but two year old plants produce more. The strawberry jars tend to dry out quickly, so keep them well-watered, use a soilless potting soil in the jars, not garden soil, and keep the jars fertilized twice a month with an all purpose fertilizer. 'Surecrop' is a June-bearing strawberry, so it will produce all berries in June and then stop for the season and send out runners. You can take those runners and plant them in other jars or better yet in the garden for next year's crop.