The Q&A Archives: Suggestions For Flowers In A White Flower Garden

Question: Could you suggest a combination of white, cream, and/or green flowers for a full sun garden? The flower beds have excellent soil and good drainage. I have used white saliva and begonias in the past, but I would like to inlcude others, including 'Envy' zinnias. Plants need to be at least 18" tall.

Answer: Bells of Ireland is an interesting pale green/creamish flower. Snow-on-the-Mountain (Euphorbia marginata) has striking foliage that combines white and green. For white/cream, try stock, flowering tobacco (Nicotiana), Bishop's flower (Ammi majus) which is similar to baby's breath, white bachelor's button, phlox, cosmos, China aster (Callistephus chinensis), and Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella damascena).

By the way, a great reference for flower gardeners is "Sunset Annuals: Quick Color and Beauty for your Garden." It includes a table with flowers listed by color and blooming season.