The Q&A Archives: Ornamental Fig Trees

Question: I live in a condo complex in which a "olive tree" was recently removed from the grounds near my unit due to overgrowth of roots which caused buckling of sidewalk.
The Homeowners Assoc. has decided to replace the tree with an "ornamental fig tree". I can't find out anything about this type of tree, ie.size...scientific name...what does it look like... does it drop leaves?

Please help me. The scientific name would be great and so would a "site" where I could view what it looks like? Can you please help?

Answer: Ficus is the botanical name of ornamental fig. There are many species. Ficus auriculata grows to 25' both high and wide, with unusually large leaves (15" wide). The tree is briefly deciduous (drops it leaves while developing new leaves), and is a good choice for a street tree. Ficus microcarpa, also known as Indian Laurel Fig, is an evergreen tree and is a popular landscape tree throughout Southern California. A mature tree will reach 25'-30' in height with interesting leaf and bark color. There are many other species which will thrive in your gardening region and an internet search for 'Ficus' should turn up some interesting pictures.

Hope this answers your question!