The Q&A Archives: Source for Cola Tree

Question: I am looking for a cola tree for my son's birthday. Where might I find or order one?

Answer: This is a difficult plant to find. Other names for the plant are: Cola acuminata. C. nitida. Sterculia acuminata. Kola Seeds. Gurru Nuts. Bissy Nuts. Cola Seeds. Guru Nut. Here are some possible sources, according to "Cornucopia II: A Source Book of Edible Plants":

Legendary Ethnobotanical Resources, 16245 S.W. 304th St., Homestead, FL 33033, ph# 305-242-0877
PJT Botanicals, PO Box 49, Bridgewater, MA 02324, ph# 800-449-5681
Hurov's Seeds and Botanicals, PO Box 1596, Chula Vista, CA 91912, ph# 619-690-1741

Here is a web site with lots of information about this plant. You might want to read it before you start -- for example, the tree grows to a height of 40 feet and is cultivated in tropical regions.