The Q&A Archives: Boxwoods Turning Red

Question: I planted a number of boxwoods this past Spring. They are various sizes and in various sites on our property. Some are turning a very red color, the site and size do not seem to have any influence. The foliage and branches still seem pliable, and there is no leaf dropping. I would appreciate any information on what the problem may be.

Answer: Boxwood leaves sometimes turn reddish in the winter. It's a natural reaction to the cold weather and the shrubs remain unharmed by this color change. As your plants mature you may continue to notice a change from green to orangy-red during cold weather, or you may find some of the older leaves turning yellow and falling off during the autumn and early winter months. Again, this is a normal, natural occurrance and nothing needs to be done.