The Q&A Archives: Watering Schedule

Question: I just recently purchased two plants for my bedroom that are supposed to be good indoor plants that need little sunlight. They are pothos and neanthe bella palm. My question is how often should I water each of these? Once a week or twice? They are beautiful plants and I am afraid I will overwater them without some good advice.

Answer: Unfortunately, there is no set schedule. You will have to check the soil and observe the plants to figure out how often to water them. Pothos prefers to be drenched (watered very heavily) and then left until it is fairly dry before watering again. Depending on the air temperature and air circulation and growth rate of the plant as well as the size of its pot in relation to the plant, this could be as little as three days or as long as two weeks! The palm will need to be kept evenly moist (but not soggy sopping wet) so again, check the soil with your finger and let the plant be your guide. Both of these plants will tolerate moderate to low light and are quite easy to care for.