The Q&A Archives: Do Azaleas Grow in the Low Desert?

Question: What does an azalea tree need to successfully grow in Arizona? I don't know anything about them.

Answer: Azaleas just don't thrive in the low desert and aren't recommended here. They prefer consistently moist and acidic soil, filtered shade, and humidity. We can offer dry and alkaline soil, relentless sun and virtually no humidity! They would be constantly stressed just to live, and stressed plants attract pests and disease. There are many attractive flowering shrubs that will thrive here though. Check out area xeriscape and botanical gardens, as well as full-service nurseries to familiarize yourself.

Desert Landscaping: Plants for a Water-Scarce Environment is the best CD I've seen for this area and it has great color photos. You can get more details at the following website: