The Q&A Archives: Canadian Hemlock

Question: I live in Charlotte, NC and am ready to plant a canadian hemlock. Where should I plant it, how close to the house can it be, how large will it get? Some info: my house faces north west

Answer: Canadian hemlocks (Tsuga canadensis) are very large trees running from 40 to 70 feet in nature, although they can be sheared to quite a small size with some success. They need a spot with evenly moist yet well drained soil that is both cool and acid. They should be protected from wind and may sunscorch in the winter. Often they do not do all that well in the city due to air pollution -- and in southern locations (zones 7 and possibly 8 are the southern end of its range) where summers are very warm they may fail to thrive at all. You may find that the Carolina hemlock (Tsuga caroliniana) is a better selection for your area.