The Q&A Archives: Growing Tomatos & Herbs On Sunny Patio

Question: I have a sunny southern facing patio. I want to grow tasty tomatoes and a few herbs (especially basil) in containers. Taste of tomatos is top priority. Which variety do you suggest and when should I plant them?

Answer: Both tomatoes and basil will adapt to growing in containers, and both will thrive in rich, moist, well-draining soil. Tomato taste is an individual preference, but I like Brandywine best. It has that rich, tomatoey flavor with just a touch of acidity. But, your taste buds may swing towards a sweeter flavor, so you may have to plant 2-3 varieties and see which you prefer.

Brandywine is an indeterminate type tomato and will need a support system in the form of a cage or trellis. Determinate type tomato plants are smaller in stature but may still need some support. Determinates also produce one large crops (and a few fruits sporatically through the summer) rather than a steady supply of tomatoes all summer.
A favorite determinate type of mine is Red Satin.

Whichever you choose, you can plant seeds in about mid-April in your gardening zone.