The Q&A Archives: Bush Apricots

Question: I'm looking for the scientific name for a plant I heard was called a Manturian Bush Apricot. It is supposed to be a shrub like plant that grows to over six feet in height, has long thorns, and produces apricots that are edible. A friend grew them as hedges to keep out dogs and I was hoping to find them for myself, along with information about how to grow them.

Answer: Prunus Armeniaca variety Mandshurica (Maximum) is the formal name of your Bush Apricot. It's from Manchuria and is hardy through USDA zone 6. It's a small, round-crowned tree with reddish bark and sharp thorns.

Bush apricot is not commonly grown, but you should be able to find a source by contacting the California Rare Fruit Growers at their website: