The Q&A Archives: Hosta/slugs

Question: Last spring I planted three hosta. Slugs ate the leaves from two of the plants seemingly overnight. My question is that if the leaves of the plant were eaten and nothing grew back over the rest of the summer, will there be a chance that the hosta will come up this spring/summer? Do slugs ruin the root of the plant? I live in western New York State.

Answer: To be honest I am not sure if they will come back or not. Normally hostas will continue to put out new leaves throughout the season if they are provided enough water, and normally a slug attack will not kill a hosta outright. I am not sure if the plants simply went dormant or if they died. However, hostas are very tough plants and it would not surprise me if they came back this spring.