The Q&A Archives: Coreopsis Didn't Flower

Question: I started coreopsis from seed last year and it did not flower. The seed package said it would flower the first year.

Answer: I assume you are growing the lance-leafed coreopsis. This plant likes a spot in full sun and like most perennials, prefers a good rich soil well prepared with organic matter. Although it is not a water hog, it also appreciates adequate moisture and several inches of organic mulch especially when it is becoming established. In some cases when the plant is stressed it will not flower, or if it has become old and woody it will flower less, but it is a fast grower and usually does flower the first year from seed as long as it is growing vigorously. If you think back perhaps you will be able to figure out why it did not. In my experience the most common reason is insufficient sunlight or transplants that became severely potbound prior to planting in the garden.