The Q&A Archives: Bore Holes In Larch Tree

Question: I have a 50' Larch tree that has holes in it. They've either been made by woodpeckers or some sort of bug. There are also carpenter ants crawling around. How do I treat it? The holes are in the trunk and go around in a symmetrical fashion. (almost too perfect)I was told it could be bees or other insect. Help?!

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain exactly what has caused the holes although it is quite possible a combination of critters have been busily at work. I would suggest you consult with your County Extension to determine exactly what is causing the damage and obtain the most up to date recommendations for controlling it, if any. A professionally trained arborist might also be of help to you. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.