The Q&A Archives: Orchid

Question: I received a beautiful white phalenoposis Oct. 26, 99. It lasted until mid December and then the flowers started dropping off, now all I am left with is the stem. A co-worker said I should cut the stem all the way down and keep it in a humid area of the house with a lot of light and water once a week. If I do cut the stem, how much of the stem from the top of the pot should I leave exposed if any??

Answer: Most growers cut back the flower stalk (called inflorescence) after blooming to allow the plant to rest. The belief is that the next flower spike will be stronger.

For phaleaenopsis orchids, some growers induce a secondary flower spike by cutting above just above dormant buds that are located below the first flower on the stem. Sometimes, a small baby plant (called a keiki) will develop instead. Leave it until roots develop and then it can be removed and potted. I hope this info helps!