The Q&A Archives: How to Care for Bonsai Plant

Question: My mother received a Bonsai plant for x-mas. The only thing is that it came with no directions. It is in a small potted planter. Then plant seems to be cemented in it. The plants stand about 7 inches tall and the box said it was 4 years old. We are unable to care for it not knowing the type of bonsai it is. Could you plese tell me which type it could be and how she should take care of it.

Answer: From your description I really can't tell what type of plant was used to create your bonsai, since such a wide variety of plants can be used. Some are tropicals and need to be cared for under warm growing conditions, and some are hardy plants such as trees and shrubs which need a controlled cool winter treatment, and they all require special care. A great resource for you is the American Bonsai Society, They have links to numerous resources. Good luck!