The Q&A Archives: Summer Vegetables for Shade

Question: One quarter of my garden receives between 4 and 6 hours of sunlight in the morning and is shaded the rest of the day. The adjacent quarter receives sunlight in the afternoon but not in the morning. I am considering tomatoes for the quarter that receives sunlight in the morning and cantaloupe and watermelon in the quarter that recieves sunlight in the afternoon. My question is whether or not these plants will do well with limited amounts of direct sunlight. I live in Edmond Oklahoma which is north of Oklahoma City (I don't know the Zone).

Answer: Tomatoes will tolerate less than a full day of sun but the less sun they get, the less they produce. Melons are even more sensitive to less than full sun. There are very few summer vegetables that will do well in shade. Cool season shade toleators include beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, kale, leaf lettuce, mustard, bunching onions, peas, spinach, Swiss Chard, and turnips.