The Q&A Archives: Raspberry Pruning

Question: I have recently purchased two raspberry plants. I am assuming that they are summer-bearing since the package says that they fruit from June-July. How do I prune these if they already have dormant canes on them and how do I prune them later?

Answer: I suspect your plants were pruned before they left the nursery. All you should have to do at this point is to plant them.

Summer-bearing raspberries bear fruit on two year old canes called floricanes. Prune the bearing canes off at ground level immediately after harvesting. Canes that have not produced fruit should be cut back to 4' or 5'. These canes will develop fruiting wood the following spring. If the canes are crowded, thin them in early spring, before growth begins, to 2-4 strong canes per foot of row.