The Q&A Archives: Vines to Climb a Tall Stump

Question: In my yard I have a large stump approximately 4 feet in diameter and 7 feet tall. I'd like to plant something at the base in a raised bed built around stump and bordering sidewalk. I'd prefer a variety of climbing vines for color contrast and texture to enhance the stump's appearance. Any suggestions?

Answer: In your gardening zone you can plant ivy or Lonicera (honeysuckle) for year around green and seasonal color, or Actinidia (kiwi), Akebia, Ampelopsis brevipedunculata (blueberry climber), Clematis, or Hydrangea anomala (climbing hydrangea), if you won't mind the leaves dropping at the end of the season. Annual plants to consider are scarlet runner beans (lovely flowers all summer), sweet peas, morning glory, dolichos bean, and climbing nasturtiums.