The Q&A Archives: Pruning Zauschneria

Question: I'm in Zone 9 (Sunset, Zone 21). I have a healthy, blooming potted Zauschneria that has become quite rangy. Is it appropriate to prune it back and if so when and how far down?
Thank you.

Answer: Your California Fuchsia is a native plant with a rangy habit, so you'll never really be able to make it look neat and compact, even with judicious pinching and pruning. Zauschneria looks most natural when allowed to sprawl and spread at will. Your plant will become twiggy this winter and can be cut back quite hard just before new growth begins in the spring. Depending upon the age of the plant and how long it has been established, you can cut it back from between one-third to two-thirds of its present size.
You can also pinch freely during the spring and summer months to promote new flowering shoots.