The Q&A Archives: White Fungus on Seedlings

Question: I have a small indoor garden that I started about 2 weeks ago. I have noticed that small, cotton-like patches have appeared in some of the planters. I'm not sure whether this is a fungus or disease, or whether it is caused by some intruder that I haven't seen yet. What could be causing this and is it dangerous for the plants? Neil Johnson Ellicott City, MD

Answer: The cottony patches on the soil could be damping off disease or white mold. Both fungi are caused by poor water drainage, over watering and poor air circulation in the containers. They can kill young plants by causing them to rot. I'd cut back on watering, make sure they get full sun, cultivate the soil to dry out and only water in mornings so the leaves of the plants can dry by evening.