The Q&A Archives: Pruning Beech

Question: Is it possible to prune a tri-color beech with out killing the poor thing. Love the tree, but chose the wrong site. It was the first tree I planted. Ever!

Answer: In some areas, beech trees are used for clipped hedges, so pruning can certainly be done although those particular "trees" have been trained since a young age. In answer to your question, I am not certain how extreme a pruning you have in mind -- a very hard pruning might shock the plant but if it is a case of either making it smaller or removing it, then that might be a risk worth taking. Ultimately these are rather large trees, so another option to consider might be moving the plant to a better location. Finally, I would suggest consulting with a true, professionally trained arborist with a demonstrated talent for careful and sensitive pruning of ornamental trees to see what might be done. Good luck with your tree!