The Q&A Archives: Brown Palm Tree Leaves

Question: The leaves on my palm tree are turning brown and dying. What should i do to help promote healthy green leaves?

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not sure what is wrong with your palm tree. However, the winter heating season is prime time for spider mite problems which show up as browning leaves so it is possible you had or have an infestation of
spider mites, which leave little webs. Spider mites are tiny, live
on the undersides of the leaves, and love hot, dry
conditions. One of the best ways to deal with them is to
literally spray them off with water or mist them regularly. Be
sure to spray the bottoms of the leaves as well as the tops.
If that doesn't work, you could try regular sprayings with
insecticidal soap according to the label instructions and being careful to saturate not only the tops and bottoms of the leaves but also the stems. If it is rather dry in your house you might also try increasing the humidity around the tree by placing the tree in a tray of pebbles and water; keep the water level just below the bottom of the pot so that it is not sitting in water and add a few drops of bleach to the tray to keep algae from gorwing in it. I hope this helps!