The Q&A Archives: Grubs

Question: I make my own compost and i've been seeing grubs in it. I know Grubs and Japanese Beetles aren't good. What should I do before I use my compost? I haven't seen them in the vegetable garden but I have grubs in the compost. We had some Japanese Beetles in the summer but haven't seen any now.

Answer: Presence of grubs means your compost pile isn't heating up the way it should. Try adding some green matter and stirring the pile up regularly, moving the hot center to the edges and the edges into the middle. Once your compost starts heating up, the grubs will die. Just to make sure they're gone, sift your finished compost through a quarter-inch wire screen before using. You'll be able to find and remove any grubs that might have escaped the heat treatment.