The Q&A Archives: Planting Schedules, Plants Placemenct In Garden.

Question: I would like to know when to start seeds indoors flowers and vegs. How to plants garden approx. 50'x100'with corn,beans, beets,cabbage,peas,onions,asparagus,rutabaga,brussel sprouts,radishes,lettuce,sweet peppers,jalapenos,cucumbers,tomatoes standard& cherry,butternut,zucchini,also if possible watermelon,pumpkins,cantaloupes,potatoes.Not sure how to plant this area to get the most crops without crowding.Do you have any ideas how to plant this area or other options. Open for all information, comments, concerns. thank-you.possibly a planting guide, floorplan.

Answer: Since you have so many questions and such ambitious plans, I would suggest you take a look at a book or two about gardening. The books in the "Dummies" series are all very straight forward and provide good step by step information. Two books you can check out on the
topic of maximizing yield in a minimum of space are "How to Grow More Vegetables in Less Space
Than You Can Imagine" by John Jeavons (available through and Mel Bartholomew's "Square-Foot
Gardening" (available through This book include tables showing when to plant vegetable seeds and when to set out transplants. Hope this gets you started!