The Q&A Archives: Hardy Plants for the AZ Sun

Question: I live in Chandler, Arizona. I have a 20' x 3' bed along the back wall of my backyard. It's completely shaded except for 2-3 hours of seering afternoon sun. The soil is good, but I don't know what I can plant here that will flourish. Any suggestions? Hannah Keeley Chandler, AZ

Answer: Here's a short list of plants that may grow well in your climate under those conditions. Salvia greggii (Autumn sage), Gaillardia aristata(blanket flower), Penstemon parryi (Parry's Penstemon), Verbena peruviana (Peruvian verbena and Oenother berlandieri (Mexican evening primrose). These plants will give you color and should survive your climate. Check local nurseries for these or contact the following company for other ideas, Wild Seed P.O. Box 27751 Tempe, AZ 85285 602-345-0669