The Q&A Archives: How To Identify A Plant Currently In My Garden?

Question: I suddenly have a beautiful flower growing in my garden. I never saw it before. I only had mums in my garden, I cleared them out a few weeks ago for my fall clean up. This weekend I saw a beautiful red roselike flower blooming. At first I thought it was fake. It is real. It is not a rose, there are no thorns on the stalk and the leaves are parsley-like and on the ground. It looks like a cross between a rose and an herb!

I am assuming it is a confused bulb since we have had a mild winter (after some cold nights). I guess it is a transplant by a squirrel. I have tried looking at all kinds of pictures of flowers at web sites, I have not been able to identify it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Answer: Based on your description I think it might be the perennial Anenome pulsatilla, also called Pasque-flower. This relatively uncommonly grown plant blooms very early and has ferny foliage, and "Rubra" has reddish purple fowers -- and is not a bulb.