The Q&A Archives: Defining Native Plants

Question: What plants in your catalog would be suitable native plants for the Richmond, VA and the surrounding area? I am a writer for Richmond magazine. Topic-NATIVES! Thank you! Pam Mann Powhatan, VA

Answer: "Native" is one of those words such as "healthy" that has many different meanings depending on what you're talking about. It's hard to say what the "native" plants of Virginia would be. They are likely plants native to the Appalachian Mountains or coastal areas of the Southeast region, not just the state. For information on this topic, I'll defer you to two sources, Lewis Ginter Botanic Garden 1800 Lakeside Ave. Richmond, VA 23228-4700 804-262-9887 Gardens of the Blue Ridge Inc. P.O. Box 10 Pineola, NC 28662 704-733-2417