The Q&A Archives: Flowers To Compliment Lily Bed

Question: I have a 3' x 27' bed of tulips and lilies. It's in a very prominent portion of the lawn and gets full sun and moderate drainage. What would be a complimentary flower to the lilies that would give some color in the latesummer/fall period? My goal is to fill in the gaps between the lilies, and to help hide the lilies as they brown in the fall. I am looking for something a little less common than mums or marigolds. I'd prefer an annual because this bed will eventually fill out with lilies, but it is not well established yet.

Answer: There are so many things you could try! Here are just a few suggestions: pink, white, yellow or orange cosmos, a taller celosia, tithonia or Mexican sunflower, strawflowers, annual rudbeckia, or perhaps dahlias.