The Q&A Archives: Gardening In The State Of Maryland

Question: I've recently moved to Takoma Park, Maryland from Nothern New England. The growing season here is quite different. Can you recommend any good books on gardening in this area?

Answer: I am not aware of any book specifically for the Washington DC area, however you might look for information geared towards the mid-Atlantic and zone 6 and 7 rather than New England. Local garden clubs and garden centers, the Maryland Extension service and Master Gardeners should all offer good localized information, as should your new neighbors! Also visit Brookside Gardens in Wheaton (part of Montgomery County Parks) for display gardens and classes. You will probably find the following Maryland gardening web site extremely helpful: Enjoy your new garden!