The Q&A Archives: Front Yard Vegetable Garden

Question: I am looking for ideas on how to design an attractive vegetable garden. The only area where there is full sun at my new home in on the front lawn. My front yard measures only about 40' wide x 22' deep, and I'm not sure I want to give it all up to my garden, yet I want to grow a wide variety of vegetables for my family of five. I live in a new subdivision where all of the neighbors obviously take a lot of pride in their landscaping and I am looking for a plan that will blend in with the neighborhood. The most information I have been able to find on the subject, in print or on the web, simply says to plant flowers with the vegetables. What I am really looking for is more detailed info, ideas, and plans; maybe some photos of examples. I know you can't provide a plan, but can you point me to where I will find the detailed information I am looking for? Thanks.

Answer: It may be awhile before the general public gets used to something besides a lot of green lawn in the front yard, but if you create an interesting and productive garden, your neighbors may be copying your soon! Try these two great books for fabulous ideas, along with spectacular photos, for an outstanding vegetable garden.

"Creative Vegetable Gardening, Accenting Your Vegetables with Flowers" by Joy Larkcom, Abbeville Press, 1997

"Beautiful American Vegetable Gardens" by Mary Tonetti Dorra, Clarkson Potter Publishers, 1997

Have fun!