The Q&A Archives: Flowers for Northern

Question: I live in an apartment with three north-facing windows (kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom) with a lot of shade from trees, and one east-facing window (livingroom) with no shade. I would like to have windowboxes inside and/or outside with flowers. Can you reccommend some plant types for each window? I like small to medium sized, colorful flowers. Thank you, Christina Hansen St. Louis, MO

Answer: The northern facing window boxes can be planted with impatiens, begonias (either fibrous or tuberous) or ferns. The east facing windowbox might hold cascading Lobelia, Fuchsia, Ivy....actually I'd try any annual you liked here to see what would tolerate that exposure. Remember to observe this box throughout the day. Does it get sun up to 8 hours or just in the morning or afternoon? Keep it well watered and fertilized twice a month for best growth and flowering.