The Q&A Archives: Causes of Geranium Rot

Question: Some of my geraniums are dying--stems are turning dark and mushy (greyish-black and watery on the inside) At times, I am able to stop the spreading by cutting off the affected part. Help and thanks a lot. Delia O'Dwyer Salem, NH

Answer: There are number of rot diseases that can effect your geraniums. My first thought is they are too wet. Geraniums like it more on the dry side. I'd continue pruning off the rooting areas and maybe consider cutting it way back to fresh, non rotting growth. Then dust each cut with a sulfur fungicide, pot them in a soilless mix in clay pots and put them in a sunny window keeping the soil moist, but letting it dry out between waterings. That should help and the new growth should take over so that by thetime they're ready for the outdoors in May they'll be good size plants again.