The Q&A Archives: Totaly Organic

Question: I'm a volunteer for a historic site and must plant vegis as they would have been planted in the 1800's ie organically. It is a reprensentations of a Russian garden, any tips on content, practices, design, links etc... would be appreciated. Thankyou Donna

Answer: Although I do not have any specifically Russian suggestions to offer, you might find it helpful to look at traditional recipes and household records from that time and work from there. I would imagine you would find many recipes for cool season veggies such as greens, cabbage, green onions and peas; root storage crops such as beets, onions, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and of course potatoes. Parsley, chives, dill and other herbs would probably have been grown at home as well as heirloom fruits and berries. I hope this helps!