The Q&A Archives: Carefree Climbing Roses

Question: I would like to plant a fragrant climbing rose that produces light pink flowers. It would be on the south side of the house, but there is a large tree which would shade it by at least 11:00 a.m. I need a rose that doesn't require full sun all day and doesn't need a lot of pruning. It will be climbing up a trellis to a balcony where I am hoping it will completely cover most of the railing someday. Am I asking the impossible?

Answer: Roses will grow in partly shady conditions, but they won't bloom and they'll be prone to lots of diseases. Instead of a rose, why not consider a less demanding climber for the site you've described? Trumpet vine, honeysuckle, or Stephanotis (Madagascar jasmine) will grow under the conditions you describe.