The Q&A Archives: Growing Eucalyptus

Question: I would like some tips on caring for the eucalyptus plant I put in the sunniest corner of my garden. Will it survive the winter? How & when should I prune it? Will it survive our hot, hot summers?

Answer: There are 50 different species of eucalyptus that are commonly grown, so I can't answer your questions definately without knowing which one you have. However, eucalyptus is native to Australia and it thrives in hot, dry climates with limited water, once established. It is commonly planted in Southern California and Arizona's low desert. Most are fast growers. Most of them will tolerate cold temperatures into the 20s or teens. Pruning shouldn't be needed the first year. Thereafter, prune when dormant in late winter/early spring, just before new growth starts. Cut back to the trunk or a side branch. The nursery where you bought the plant should be able to tell you which species it is.