The Q&A Archives: Seeds From African Violets

Question: Is there any way to get an African Violet to "sprout" a seed pod? I didn't know there was such a thing until I read in my search on African Violets that one woman asked what this "pouch" was on her plant. You told her it was a seed pod. I have several violets and am very curious. I have also been searching for African Violet seeds and found only one site...Cyberseeds" from TX and couldn't find what I needed there.

Answer: The plants set seed after blooming, so do not remove the spent flowers. Eventually you should see the seeds developing where the center of the flower was. African violet seeds are difficult to locate because most plants are grown by tissue culture or by leaf cuttings, but it can be fun to experiement.

Perhaps the African Violet Society of America would be able to help you find what you need.