The Q&A Archives: Houseplants

Question: Hi,
I have a Bonsai Tree, Called Sawara Cypress, can you please tell me the proper way to care for it. I have been caring for it the way I was told when I bought it, but some of the leaves seem to be turning brown and drying up. What am I doing wrong?

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I can't tell you what the specific problem is. Bonsai is a fascinating method of growing plants, but it requires a great deal of skill to maintain healthy specimens. The Sawara Cypress (Chamaecyparis pisifera) is a large evergreen tree in nature but can be grown as a bonsai if all of its needs are met. You might wish to
look at a book on the general care of bonsais to see if you
can provide it the attnetion it needs to thrive. You might also contact
the American Bonsai Society, c/o Patricia DeGroot, P.O.
Box 1136, Puyallup, WA 98371-1136, (206) 841-8992;
web site: They have several
publications available to help you learn to care for your bonsai. You might also find some helpful information through the Internet Bonsai Club web site. I hope this helps.