The Q&A Archives: Preventing Shrinking Voila

Question: I recently (3 weeks ago) got a pot of Viola ( Purple Ice'). It was blooming just fine at first, and then I noticed the size of the flowers were shrinking. It seems that each new was smaller than the ones before. The plants are in a 4in pot, on an east-facing window. I inserted a plant food spike, and water it once every 3-4 days. Any idea what's wrong with it? I also have an Arabian jasmine, but I don't know what kind of fertilizer it likes. Thanks in advance. Lily Cambridge, MA

Answer: Your Viola is probably not getting enough light. I'd put it under grow lights to get the flower size back up to standards. I can't find any reference to an "Arabian jasmine". Do your know the botanic name or any other uinfromation about it?