The Q&A Archives: Snake Plant Outgrowing Pot

Question: I read in a book on caring for houseplants, not to repot plants in the winter when they are usually in their dormant stage, they may go into shock or something, but my snake plant doesn't seem to be dormant, (in fact, none of my plants are and it's mid-January) it's growing vigorously,( haven't fertilized since mid fall) and getting very top heavy. One leaf is breaking from the bottom. Some of the other leaves are leaning (so much so, I had to tie them together with twine, to keep them from breaking) and the new leaves are fighting for their own space. It looks like it wants out of that 6 in. pot. So is it safe to repot it?

Answer: You may find that one of the reasons the plant is leaning is because it needs more light but if the plant is growing vigorously you can certainly repot it now. The only caution is to take care not to overwater it once it is in the new pot; I would also hold back on the fertilizer until the days get a bit longer and the light is stronger. Finally, if a leaf does break off you can use it as a tip cutting to start a new plant.