The Q&A Archives: Baby's Breath In Containers

Question: I am a zone 6. I thought baby's breath was a perennial but heard it is an annual. Which is correct? I wanted to plant from seed in a large container. Will it do well in a container? When is its blooming season? If a perennial will it come back every year in the container?

Answer: There are two types of baby's breath, an annual and a perennial. I would suggest the annual if you are tryig to grow it in a container. The perennial requires perfect drainage and has a deep brittle root so it can be a bit difficult in anything but a very large tub; it also has its main bloom once in the summer and sometimes reblooms nicely if the season is a good one. The annual will bloom over a much longer season. Enjoy your baby's breath!