The Q&A Archives: Amaryllis Growing From Seed.

Question: Amaryllis are growing from seed. Have bulbs about 2 1/2" in diameter. What size do they need to be before I can expect them to bloom? Currently are being grown indoors. Seed came from outdoor plants in GA.
Is there any special care, treatment or feeding I should be doing. They have filled the pots currently used and I will transplant to next larger size.

Answer: In my experience offsets can bloom at about that size or slightly larger, but seedlings may may take a bit longer since they need to mature; three or four years would not be an unusual wait. Transplant as needed to maintain active healthy growth but keep in mind that these bulbs seem to do better a bit crowded rather than in an overly large pot. If you haven't already, you might try putting them through a dormant cycle and see if they bloom for you.