The Q&A Archives: Trees

Question: Can you give me any suggestions as to suitable shrubs/trees for my situation. I want to plant some trees or shrubs at the back line of my yard for some privacy. Height: Less than 20-25 feet (due to overhead power lines) Climate: Cold winters (low temps. 0 degree F to slighty negative) with alot of snow. Warm Summers (highs of 80 - 90 degrees F at the most) Location: Sunny to partly shaded. The ground stays moist most of the year with slight standing water (approx. 1 to 2 inches during the spring snow melt). The big problem I have with the location is that the soil stays fairly moist all year long and will have a little bit of standing water for a couple of days during the spring thaw. I need something that doesn't mind wet feet. I've tried some flowing shrubs in the past and if they didn't die outright they did not thrive. I would love to put some flowering trees/shrubs back there but I don't know if any would thrive in that situation. If you have any advice I would really appreciate it. Ann Marie Kropovitch Buffalo, NY

Answer: Consider the following: Forsythia, Privet, Honeysuckle, Bridal wreath Spirea or Viburnum. All these grow to over 6 feet and tolerate wet soils. You might consider planting the shrubs in a little raised bed to stand out of the water and grow better. Also, slope the soil so water drains away from the plantings.