The Q&A Archives: Ficus Identification- Plant Health

Question: I have been asked to identify a tree growing indoors for years now, but it doesn't seem native. Something in my mind tells me it is a Ficus tree, but I'm not sure and can't find identifying info. It is struggling and needs help but I can't do anything until I know what it is. Where can I find info / pictures of Ficus so I will know if it is indeed that? It's about 7' tall, with a caliper at 6" height of about 3", with simple untoothed leaves, which seem to be alternating, an off white bark, smooth for the most part, somewhat roundish head habit.

Answer: Based on your description it is quite possible you have a Ficus benjamina; here is a photo showing fairly typical branching habit although the trunks have been artificially woven together. If it is indeed that, there are a number of entries about it in our Q&A section that you may find helpful.