The Q&A Archives: Writing Designs on Pumpkins

Question: I have a pumpkin plant. I want to carve my son's name on a pumpkin when it's small so that the pumpkin (and his name along with it) will grow large. What size should the pumpkin be? What's the best tool to use? At what depth should I carve his name?

Answer: It will depend on the variety of the pumpkin and its eventual expected size. You can begin writing on small varieties as soon as they are the size of a tennis ball. Bigger varieties may go up to a basketball in size before you need to do the monogramming. It doesn't take much -- just enough poking with any sharp pointed instrument to break the skin of the fruit. A closely-knit series of poked dots (rather than cursive or calligraphy) is the most effective technique.